Tuesday 16 December 2014

arts and crafts evaluation



Arts and crafts evaluation

I did a verity of secondary research including looking through books when I was looking for historical and contempary artists. Also I have used the artist’s pictures to either copy or add onto my work for example on my mood boards.

 I’ve also used Pinterest to update all my work onto. For my historical artists I decided to choose William Morris I like his work because of how it’s usually designed for wallpapers and how it’s done in a pattern and it’s really detailed and colorful and I thought it would be good to do my version of his work.

I put my mood boards together by taking different images of Picasso and Morris work from books and the internet and some I stuck onto my work to either copy or to take a part of it and carry it on and some I used the same media and some I used different media for example acrylic and water colour.

I decided on my contempary artist because I was told by my tutor that Picasso was a contempary artist and with Picasso being well known I knew it would be easy to find his work so i have more of a variety to choose work I like.

Experimentation I have done throughout the project are textile experiments like batik, where you get hot wax and paint it on your drawing with a tjanting and then leave it to dry and you the do over it with ink which then leaves the wax clear so then you iron the wax off to leave the pattern. Also mark making where you paint your pattern using equipment apart from a paint brush so sponge, pegs etc. And also puff binding where you paint your pattern with cream paint and then dry it with a heat gun which makes it light and puffy.
The health and safety we covered in the workshop and processes included using the hot wax in the textiles room. We had to be carful that we didn't spill it on our self's or anybody next to us. So to prevent this we made sure there was a decent space between us so we wasn't working over the top of each other, also we had pieces of paper to catch the hot wax dripping out of the tjant till it got to out work. Another health and safety was using the craft knife when removing finished work from our boards to make sure that our hand or figures are not in the way of the  cutting direction. 
One of my peer feedback was to use primary  research but by the time I got the feedback our researching part was over so I know to use that next time. Another was to keep an eye on my time management and I managed to get all my work done for the deadline so I acted on that. 
One strength within my design was the scale of my work when I was taking ideas from Picasso and Williams Morris's work and putting them on my mood board I didn't do things too small or too big they where clear to see. I also liked the media I used for example when I was doing my studies and critical studies of Picasso and Morris I did one of Picasso's in impasto acrylic because that's what he had done I I choose It because I really like using thick paint and also Morris used mostly water colour so that's what I used and his patterns look really natural and not too in your face and that's how mine turned out so I was happy with my use of media. And finally I liked the final pattern which I took from William Morris and then added another one of his designs where it looked empty to create my final piece I liked it because it looked simple but really effective, especially when I had used the four textile techniques. 
If I was to do this project again I would choose a different contempary artist because I like Picasso but I couldn't fine anything that worked for my final piece. So maybe something that Interests me more. Also now I have and idea of what each piece of work has to look like I want to do more then the minimum requirement to get a better grade. 
Throughout my project I think that my final designs went really well because even though it was only two patterns from William Morris it looked really effective. I also think my critical study and study's of Morris's and Picasso's work worked really well because I used the same techniques and they really looked alike. I also thought my weaving which was one of our textiles experiments went well I really enjoyed doing it. However I think my final piece didn't look as good because it only the second time I had used batik, puff binder, mark making and sewing . I think my batik  and sewing went well but the mark making and puff binder looked messy and childish. 
I think I used my time well when doing work out side of college and in college time because if I had not finished one piece at college I would finish it at home. But if it had to be finished at college I need to work on that but I think we wasn't getting enough time on some of the work sometimes because we had to do the experiments In-between. 


No comments:

Post a Comment