Thursday 9 October 2014

Fine art workshop and colour theory

Colour wheel
Primary colours- red, yellow, blue. 
Secondary colours- green, orange, violet. 
Complimentary colours- yellow and purple, red and green, and blue and orange. 
Tint- when White is added 
Shade- when black is added
Opaque when you cannot see through the it.
Monochromatic- different tones. Tints and shades. 


For our second lesson we was giving different pictures from artists and they where all based around cakes and sweets etc.. We had to stretch a piece of a2 paper and then we had to copy the artist work trying to use the type of painting which mine was quite thick. This was my picture and my copy of that picture.


I quite like my painting because I managed to set out the right scale for the picture to fit on and I managed to make it thick paint like the artist did. Next time I will try get better colours to match the painting because some are darker and different shades and the background at the bottom is the wrong colour. Next time I need to not sketch out the outline as long. 

For our third lesson we had to pick another artist based around the sweets etc. so I picked the picture with the three gumball machines. 
We then had to stretch a piece of a2 paper and split it in half and in one corner copy that painting and then annotation underneath when we had finished and then on the other half we had to do our own version. So I decided to change the sweets in the machine. I got some sweets.

And then I had to paint them still in the same style as the artist this was my finished work with annotation.

For our last lesson we where looking at henri Matisse, Henri Matisse was a French artist, known for his use of colour and his fluid and original draughtsman ship. He worked in the periods of Impressionism, modernism, modern art, fauvism, neo- Impressionism.
In the middle of the class room we had a set up and this was my view. 

We then had to stretch a piece of a2 paper and get the three primary colours. We had to start by doing an outline in blue because we was doing Matisse the colours weren't realistic. after I had drawn a basic out line in diluted blue paint we had to add yellow for the lighter areas this was the first stage of my painting.
After we had to add red for the darker areas. But as I was doing this my colours started blending to makes secondary colours. So after I started to make it impasto like Matisse did and it was quite messy as well when I was putting detail into the mannequin etc.. This was my second stage where we had also started adding black and white for really dark shading and really light areas. 
After I started to build colours on top of each other and my paint was really thick. And then after because Matisse pattern on walls etc. the wasn't all the detail there it was just an impression of the main part of the detail so for the cloth at the bottom after adding all the different colours for shading I did the main part of the cloths pattern which was paisley patterns and just did a basic suggestion of it. This was my final impasto painting in Matisse style. 

I've really enjoyed this workshop because  fine art is my main interest and I've really enjoyed working with thick paint and drawing the sweets etc. and been able to make it out own. But I mostly enjoyed the  last one because I learnt that I don't have to draw an outline for ages and that just going for it turns out quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment